Sunday, April 15, 2012

Artists that I admire and love...Mr. Barrie Sharpe

I had the pleasure to meet this fine gentleman while I was across the pond. If you are into acid jazz and rare groove, this is the man that was behind all of that starting in the mid 80s. Master Plan and Sun Worshippers were two tracks that were a staple in my DJ bag. I actually had to replace Master Plan three times as it always miraculously disappeared at the end of the night while I was packing up my records. The pioneer of the rare groove scene, in 1985 he opened "The Cat In The Hat Club" in Central London. Alongside Lascelle he played 70's funk, which later became known as "Rare Groove", a big influence on the ever changing London Club culture. The entire "Rare Groove" scene was started @ The "Cat In The Hat" by Lascelles Lascelle and Barrie. The duo brought such great tunes as "Across The Track", "Think About It", "I Know You Got Soul" & "I Believe In Miracles" His music is always evolving, his resume ridiculously impressive and he is an absolute gent. Barrie has hosted many successful club nights around the London and I had the pleasure of attending one. The music was spectacular and I didn't expect anything less. So if u are ever in London, u need without a doubt to hear this man play. He will be the well-dressed cat in the DJ booth banging out some mind blowing gems.

Not only a fantastic producer and DJ he is also the designer and founder of the well known men's clothing line Duffer of St George and now Sharpeye. What else has this man done...well he has also written an autobiography I read a small snippet and I want more. He details, vividly I might add, his experience growing up in London and the music scene in the 70s and 80s. Barrie is an innovator, creator, father, designer, writer, and activist. He doesn't mince words or take short cuts in any of his endeavors and the proof is in every final creation



give a listen to some of his recent amazing work. I am honored to be on one of his tracks and to call him a friend.

1 comment: