Friday, April 6, 2012

Conversations with my students and freedom's sisters

Happy friday my beautiful people. Every once in awhile I will have some colorful comments or conversations with my students and also overhear or become involved in some interaction at the local bodega. This is one of the latest

conversation with my student

student: Miss, I think u are crazy
me: excuse me?!
student: Nah Miss I think u are good crazy not bad crazy
me: really...whats the difference
student: U are the kind of crazy that would take a bullet for us not the kind of crazy that would call up her man and say she was going to kill herself just to see if he cares crazy.
me: thank u for that
student: And u are the only one that we let yell at us by the way...that's a badge of honor for real

some how that made me smile all day.

With that being said I have taken some of my lovely ladies to a great exhibit at the Betty Shabazz Center. The exhibit only runs until April 22nd and showcases 20 women of color who were soldiers in the fight against slavery, racism and gaining civil rights. I urge all of u to take the time to visit.It is our responsibility to enlighten our youth for many obvious reasons. Clink on the link below for more details


No comments:

Post a Comment